D'Estrees Bay is located on the south coast of Kangaroo Island. The southern end of D'Estrees Bay is part of the Cape Gantheaume Conservation Park while the northern portion is accessible by a private road open to the public. The beaches offer spectacular scenery and are suitable for surfing and fishing while bird watching, hiking and trekking are also popular.
D’Estrees Bay has a number of existing camp sites but most are for bush camping and are quite secluded.
The locations of Tea Trees, Wreckers Beach, Big Dune and Sewer Car Park were identified as appropriate to explore possible expansion opportunities as follows:
- Vehicle access upgraded to a new one-way access road plus a small number of day parks
- A new small shelter with a picnic table and new central toilet block
- 5 new camp sites easily accessed by all types of campers including caravans, RV’s, camper trailers and tent users
- Boundary fencing to protect existing vegetation and where revegetation will be undertaken
- Two beach access points will be defined through the use of directional signage to prevent multiple access points being created by campers
- Vehicle access upgraded to a new one-way access road and some day parking to be provided
- Shut off and revegetate existing access road
- 14 new camp sites
- Boundary fencing to protect existing vegetation
- A new additional toilet facility and large shelter structure, with multiple picnic tables and BBQ’s
- Two existing beach access points to be retained, upgraded and defined to prevent damage to surrounding dune vegetation
Big Sand Dune:
- Upgraded vehicle access to a new one-way access road
- No day parking to maintain the site as private and secluded
- A total of 9 new camp sites and new toilet facilities
Sewer car park:
- 6 additional vehicle parks together with appropriate parking bays for coaches / mini-buses or RV’s / caravans
- A new toilet facility
- Two existing beach access points will be retained, upgraded and defined to prevent damage to surrounding dune vegetation
It was identified that Wheaton’s Beach camp ground and parking should be left as is given the surrounding vegetation, topography and site access.
Upgrade to D'Estrees Bay Road
The D’Estrees Bay area is accessed along D’Estrees Bay Road which runs along the coastline overlooking D’Estrees Bay. The road is severely worn and it was identified as appropriate to include the regrading of D’Estrees Road as part of the camp site expansion and development works.
Temporary road closure D’Estrees Bay Road
D’Estrees Bay Road will be closed temporarily from Monday 3rd August to enable contractors to widen and re-sheet the road as part of the improvements to the campsite. This closure will extend from the First Boat Ramp to the Sewer Carpark. The length of the closure is currently dependent on weather conditions. However, the intention is to have road works completed by the end of August.
Concept plans were shared in March and April with targeted stakeholders and on the Natural Resources Kangaroo Island website for comment. A number of comments and issues were raised, including:
- Use of campfire pits
- Number and location of camp sites
- Reconsider coach turnaround
- Proximity of Osprey nest
- Potential impacts on Hooded Plovers and Red Capped Plover
- Preference not to develop camp sites at Big Sand Dune
The feedback received has been taken into account in the development of final concept plan. The main changes include:
- A reduction in the proposed number of new campsites across the locations from 29 to 8
- Relocation of new campsites at Tea Trees to ensure they are further away from the Osprey nest
- The current campsite at Wreckers Beach will be closed and redeveloped with a barbeque shelter with two picnic settings. No camping will be allowed at this site
- The proposed turning circle and parking for buses at the Sewer Car park will not proceed. The number of carparks will be increased from 10 to 20
- A sign at Wreckers Beach will advise larger vehicles not to proceed past that point
- The proposed toilet at the Sewer Car Park has been shifted to a more discreet location
- No works to take place at Big Dune – the site will remain as is
More emphasis is being given to improving the condition of D’Estrees Bay Road. The road will be widened and re-sheeted with limestone from the First Boat Ramp to the Sewer Car Park. This work will commence on 19 July 2020 and the road will be closed for periods during this reconstruction. It is planned that the road works will be completed by 31 August 2020, subject to weather conditions.
The balance of construction works will take place this year once a contractor is appointed. The sites will be reassessed once the works are completed and the sites are in use to ensure an appropriate balance of environmental protection and visitor experience has been met.